Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My Dad

My dad is great
When I was a little baby, after his classes and work, he'd put aside his fatigue and his homework, and play with me until I fell asleep on his chest

My dad is great
He took me to my first Ohio State football game (OSU 42 EWash 0), and then we spent the rest of day walking around campus, me learning where he came from, and wondering when we were going to eat

My dad is great
During a game of two-on-two when I was boy, I used a derogatory racial slur to describe one of our opponents, resulting in my dad tanning my hide so I'd get a small idea of how that sort of thing hurts people

My dad is great
When I really wanted to learn how to use the lawnmower, when I was big enough, he taught me.... wait a minute, what's so great about that?

My dad is great
While other guys golfed or stopped off at the watering hole after work, we were throwing a baseball

My dad is great
He taught me through not buying a VCR, and making me spend all my money on my Aunt Ada, that Christmas was not my birthday

My dad is great
On the first day I got my license, he asked me why I didn't have a job, forcing me to connect freedom with responsibility

My dad is great
He made me do math because he wanted me to have opportunities he didn't have, and his dream came true... I make a living largely not having to use much math!

My dad is great
All he did was tell me when I went off to college not to ask for money, so I didn't, and he ended up giving it to me anyway

My dad is great
When guests come to his house, they get something to eat or drink, whether they want to or not

My dad is great
He tells me to not be so much of a wuss, and my brother to be kinder and gentler

My dad is great
On the day my oldest son, Max, was born, he drove non-stop from Lima to Normal, Illinois so he could tell the boy how much he loved him

My dad is great
He has sat up late, listening and talking, during some dark nights of the soul

My dad is great
Just ask his grandkids

My dad is great
Just ask the secondary school students at Borde who study because of his passion and generosity

My dad is great
Cause he has two sons who love and admire him

My dad is great
Because he married a great woman who has pushed him toward greatness

Today, my dad is 60 years old... and he's great!

No comments: